Welcome to the place where I rant, rave and discuss books, writing, the town of Cobourg Ontario and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Writing Prompt-and-Share #11


Time to get your rage on! Today's Prompt-and-Share On the theme of yesterday’s get-to-know-you post, have you or one of your characters vent, rant and rave about a pet peeve. Or describe a specific event involving your pet peeve. Either in your first person voice or in your character’s first person voice please. No more than 200 words for this piece please. (If you want a prompt with more leeway word-wise, check yesterday’s prompt)

My Submission: - It was a bright and sunny day as my good friend Ryan sat on my couch chatting to me as I stared out the window. We were discussing some random topic, exhausting the subject ad nauseum, when I noticed a man walking down the sidewalk.
I watched as he turned the corner, looked side to side and tossed a coke can on the green space lining a building. Anger welled up inside of me and escaped through a voice I did not recognize. “Pick that up” raged from my throat like a bear’s roar and carried out my window to the man’s ears. He looked around, he looked up. He walked back to his litter, probably 15 steps or so and picked up his can. He stopped and looked around again,and then carried on his way with his trash in his hand.
Did he think it was the voice of God speaking? Some random voice inside his head? Big Bother (or in this case, sister) watching? Regardless, I felt powerful, strong and just a little narcissistic. Maybe there is something to this assertive attitude everyone keeps talking about.

7 comments:

  1. "You know what gets me?" I asked Chet.

    He rolled his eyes in an obvious, insulting way.
    "No. What 'gets' you, Dave?"

    "I was going to say something else, but now I'll say it's people who don't have the courtesy to listen to their friends."

    "This is why I can't listen to you!" said Chet. "You make so much out of everything! You can't ever just friggin' hang out."

    "It's not my fault I have an opinion, Chet."

    He softened, "I know that. You just happen to have an opinion on everything." He smiled, "I like you man - you're funny, but you're also a pain in the ass sometimes."

    I felt my face getting hot. Really, I can't help noticing stuff, and when it gets to me, I have to let it out. I used to keep it in, but then I just got sick all the time.

    Chet must've seen something in my face, because he patted my shoulder and said, "Nevermind, Dave. Just tell me then - what 'gets' you?"

    "The colour red."

    "What??" Dave was staring at me like I'd grown a second head.

    "You heard me," I said. "I can't stand how everything important HAS to be red. Y'know, Stop signs, red lights, Danger. Like, who handed the colour red the 'most important colour in the world prize?'"

    "Have you been smoking weed again?"

    "No."

    "Then I stand by my previous statement, Dave. You're a pain in the ass. A CRAZY pain in the ass."

    "What?" I said, "It's a legitimate beef, man. Why can't a few signs be blue, or purple, or something, why RED?"

    "Alright," said Dave, "What colour do you think of when I say 'hot'?"

    "White."

    "This is ridiculous."

    ______

    Ok...I'm stopping there - Dave is p*ssing ME off.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff as always Chris. You have no idea how much I look forward to reading your submissions, because you always give quality, and almost always a laugh. You know that from now on when I see a red sign I'm gonna rant about it just to be a pain.
    *hugs*
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nina! I like yours too - there's just NO excuse for littering.

    On another note - I hope you don't mind that I continue to post here, instead of (+). Because of the whole thing with Facebook "owning" any content you post there, I'm still leary of putting my writing up on any social media site (especially since it hasn't really been explored wrt Google+ yet.)

    Keep putting the prompts up! I'll join in when I can, though I'm currently polishing one short for a "big time" push, and have started the actual penning of my novel, so ... I may be sporadic, but enthusiastic when I do!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as I can keep reading them Chris, you can put them anywhere you like :)

    Good luck on your penning, may them use be with you!

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are great! i had a hard time thinking of a good one. then i came up with life after the book...female mc's head:

    Oh, that man!
     
    He never wants to go out. Such a homebody! Just look at him. He just wants to sit and watch the screen.
     
    I want excitement and travel! After our adventure, he said he'd had enough of all that and since I travel with my job, I should be too. He doesn't get it!
     
    If he wasn't so cute, I might have to leave him. I think he needs another big case. I'll see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh Tara! If this happens AFTER your book, I'm really excited to see what this character does IN your book. Looking forward to reading it:)

    ReplyDelete