Welcome to the place where I rant, rave and discuss books, writing, the town of Cobourg Ontario and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Throwing the Experts out the Window and Getting Past the Block

As mentioned before I have a habit of working on a story until I hit block when I don't know where a strand of the story will go. If I'm not satisfied with where I've gotten I move on...
As I've also mentioned, I've been inside and out "How to write a novel" books to the point of dissection...
Still - I found myself going nowhere in actual progress on any novel.
The Solution? Throwing the experts out the window and just write. I don't need charts and graphs and pictures and zodiac books surrounding me at all times. Perhaps I haven't found my niche yet, but it doesn't mean that someone else's ways should necessarily be mine.
SO my new method? Write - write whatever I think about the subject. If I hit a wall - write about a different part of the novel. Could this amount in many many many many ad nauseum wasted hours of re-writes and self-loathing? Well it's possible, but it's also possible that this may be the way to get to a finished product. We'll see how it goes.
Anyone else out there going against the grain these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment