Welcome to the place where I rant, rave and discuss books, writing, the town of Cobourg Ontario and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Heather Knight-Owens pt 2

“Good evening Mrs. Owens. My name is Larry Linchster, I’m the lawyer your husband has had on retainer for years. Though these are unconventional circumstances, that makes me your lawyer now. Right, okay then. Do you understand?”

“You are my lawyer. I understand. But I would appreciate it if you would call me by my maiden name, Heather Knight. I’m no longer anyone’s missus.”

“Umm... y-y-yes, yes of course Miss Knight. Right, okay then. Shall I ask the guards to bring you a beverage? Do you need to use the facilities? Is there anything I can get you or do for you to make this process more comfortable?”

“No, thank you.”

“Right, okay then. Let us begin. If at any point you need anything, a break, or a drink, anything. Right, okay then. Just ask me.”

“I appreciate that Mr. Linchster.”

“Oh call me Larry, please. Mr. Linchster was my father, heh. Right, okay then. So Miss Knight, do you understand why you are under arrest?”

“Yes Larry, I shot my husband 4 times in the chest.”

“Right, okay then.”

“Larry? You look a little pale…”

“I’ll tell you Miss Knight, this doesn’t look very good for you. When you placed the call to 911, you confessed to shooting your husband. I’m not sure how we will be able to swing having that tape removed from court evidence.”

“That won’t be necessary Larry. I am pleading guilty as soon as you can get me before a judge. Though I would like you to manage a bail hearing for me as soon as possible Larry, so that I may get my affairs in order before my sentencing date.”

“Right, okay then. Missus Ow… uh Miss Knight, I feel the need to advise you that you are being charged with first degree murder that carries a life sentence without parole eligibility for twenty-five years.”

“I understand fully Larry.”

“Right okay, okay then, right. There are other options. We could try for temporary insanity, our firm has some reputable psychiatrist available…”

“No thank you.”
“Right, okay then. How about self-defense? Was Mr. Owens cheating on you? Mistreating you in some way? How did you get that cast on your arm? Maybe we could work with that? I have some hospital reports somewhere in here.”

“STOP! I will not be painted a victim. Some poor little housewife who was beaten and didn’t know better than to get out. Some idiot who was too blinded by love to see that she’d married an abusive man. No Larry, I will not let him make a victim of me. Not ever again.”

“Right, okay then…”

No comments:

Post a Comment